Hello November.

 I was glad to see October go. 
Usually when I think thoughts like these I tell myself-"You're being dramatic."
But this thought felt legit and ok to say.  October 1 is when our dog Bouncy got run over.  It's complicated and still very heartbreaking, but I'll just say that we ended up having to put her to sleep.  I still can't think about it without having to quickly swallow my tears.  I'll miss her forever. 

We've also had several rounds of sickness making their way through our family (minus Brett) over the past month. Nothing major. I think I ended the cycle with a sinus infection that I am on antibiotics for currently and Betsy now has a daily inhaler for her cough so things are looking up. 

On a positive note, I had several exciting things happening at work last month! We got to attend the True Lit festival at the Fayetteville Public Library, as well as have award-winning author Matt De La Pena visit our school.  So it wasn't all meh last month.  
Still, hello November.  Please hold more promise of positivity than last month! Pretty please! 
 Still no matter what, in whatever season or day or mood I find myself in, I pick up my camera.  I can't not.  I can't imagine life where I didn't stop to document the beauty and light that continues to fill the cracks and crevices.  Usually when I feel most broken or life does in places, that's when the most light gets in.  I admit, I continue to struggle with the desire to post on social media.  Believe it or not! It just feels more like a chore lately, for some reason.  When I quickly suggested to Brett that I might quit blogging he responded back-"don't do that."  I was surprised he had such an opinion on it. And no, this was not in a controlling way.  He rarely has such a strong opinion on things so when he does I listen.  He's right, it's worth it to show up here.  I've been at this for 12 years.  Can you believe it?! If I've inspired even one or two of you-consider it my greatest pleasure to show the rosy side of life.   

Here's a look at fall 2019.
 Cooking bacon (my fave) always produces the most magical beam of light/smoke.
 Afternoon autumn light just makes me swoon. This is a very typical look at our dining room table.  Always full of little stacks and surprises the girls have left.

 The leaves, light, and frost on the back deck in the morning is pure magic! This lucky morning I actually had time to snap two photos.

 This is the view I woke up to this morning. 
I slept in (getting over being sick) and Brett came in, pulled the curtain back, and watched my face break into a delighted smile.  Isn't this view just the loveliest?!
 I helped Betsy with her crystal growing kit and we have all been delighted with the progress! How do those crystals even grow around the outside? I don't get it but I'm all here for it!
 Pretty back deck vignette! 
I am really soaking up these colors before winter turns everything grey.
 My whole heart.

 Leaf piles are a yearly joy!

 The "before".
I actually painted these, inspiration thanks to Mary Wangerin. My internet BFF.
 You guys-this is the view behind my house. 
Golden magic!


 One of my kiddos took these random shots of me and I adore them. I'm so rarely IN the photos.  I don't like that. So I'm happy that the girls are at an age old enough that I can hand my Nikon off to them.  I think they do great with the Nikon! That is thanks to YEARS of me letting them use it.  
 Complete, utter ART that tiny mushroom!
A pretty bouquet beautiful Anna picked.

 The girls' chalk drawings are my absolute fave. 
I know for sure I will miss these when they get older.
 Something very behind-the-scenes I'm still deeply enjoying is art journaling.  
Long ago I documented each page and every single stroke with my paintbrush by clicking my camera.  These days I'm journaling just as much.  I don't find myself photographing every page though.  I read an awesome quote on Lisa Congdon's IG recently that said "Find what feeds you." 

YES and amen.  Art feeds me.  Either you get that or you don't. 
I completely need it like I need to breathe.
I think everyone should have something like that.  That brings them joy in the secret, quiet places of their life.  Not something that's always front and center for others to like, heart, or profit from. That's just my old school, pre-IG/social media self talking. 
 Something else that feeds me? 
Books. 
Obvs, since I'm a librarian.  Books and art are my greatest joy, my quickest counselor, my deepest me too, my greatest understanding.

 Painted these little mantra cards.
The first page of my new art journal. 
I love a fresh start.
I've lost count how many art journals I've filled up.  I've thought about getting them all out and photographing them.  All I know is, I always have an art journal ready to fill.  And I always fill them and start another.  Same with written journals. 

Some other things on my mind: 
We have two family birthdays coming up and Thanksgiving/Christmas. I have presents and plans on my mind. 

My prayer list for others is currently long.  I pray for people a lot, especially while driving. My biggest prayer for myself lately is that my heart would be well hidden in God's.  I picture a tiny heart nestled inside a big one.  Then I picture anything and everything I desire, ask, worry about, pray for, care about leaving my heart and bumping up against the perimeters of God's.  I want all of me to stay inside of God's perimeters.  It's the best place to be in life. The absolute best place for Earth and Eternity both. 

Switching gears quickly-still loving snapping photos on my phone of everyday rosy life and of my outfits.  Need to share more of both.

Cooking a lot lately. (home food is better than restaurant food)

Enjoying: bulletproof coffee, fires in the fireplace, This is Us, kettle bell exercise, fall afternoons, my Leverett Lion kids at school, the anticipation of starting GRAD SCHOOL (yep-you read that right. Master's degree here I come), and slowing down. 

The slowing down part deserves a post of its own.  I'm trying not to get lost in the shuffle of my life basically.  Which all circles back around to why showing up on this blog and taking the photos and pausing to notice the beauty is like putting a stake in the ground for good. 

Your turn: What are you watching/savoring/slowing down for? Are you happy to see another month go? Anticipating the holidays or dreading them?

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your dog. What a sad, sad experience for all of you. Our dog Daisy passed away over five years ago, and I still think about her. Her picture is still on our fridge. Our dogs have a way of keeping a place in our minds and hearts.
    I am glad that your November is looking up! Better health and better days. What beautiful moments you captured to share here. I hope you have a wonderful November :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you so much for your kind thoughts about our dog. :( I'm sorry you have a dog to miss too! Dogs are such special parts of our families..
    I hope your November has been lovely!
    Thank-you for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.