Never Lost

It snowed earlier this week.  I can still hardly believe it! Actually, it iced a bit with some sleet thrown in and just enough snow flakes to delight us.  It was bitterly cold which I must confess was secretly thrilling for a few seconds at least, because Arkansas winters are usually so mild I had forgotten what it felt like to be that cold.  If you've been here long though you know I am a summer gal through and through.  Give me a tan, shorts, camping, digging my hands in the garden, and a trip to the river and I am HAPPY.  I mean, I just adore summer.  Still, every year winter rolls around and as always in life, I figure I can either make the best of it or mope around.  Sometimes it takes me putting one foot in front of the other to come out on the rosy side. I don't think people realize that about me.  I am usually hailed as someone who is very bright and positive and while that does ring true, it doesn't always come natural to me.  Sometimes I have to make myself put on an outfit I feel confident in and then the confidence comes.  Most times I make myself exercise, because I know my mental health will soar afterwards.  These little joy habits are what fuel my positivity.  I forever believe in the power of positivity.  So as we enter this season that I naturally want to say feels dark and cold, I fight back with light, art, and taking really good care of myself. 

 Sometimes when my mind gets on an anxious loop I find myself obsessively making lists or being so wound up I can't seem to relax.  Or the WORST-scrolling my phone forever without even knowing why I'm doing it.  It's like a train barreling down the tracks.  The wrong track at that! 

Something I've had a bit of a revelation about this week is that the simple act of making calms my heart, mind, and body faster and more effectively than the anxious things above. If you've read this blog for any amount of time you will look back at me and say "well....yeah. So?"  because it's not like this is a new lightbulb moment for me to figure out.  I've just realized the times I have been most relaxed, felt most like myself, and truly experienced self-care lately, were when I was making something.  This kind of IS a new revelation to me as I am now a full-time working mama, about to begin my master's degree.  Of course I knew how much making filled me up in a previous season of life, where the minutes for making were plentiful.  I only dream of days now when 2 hour nap times happened on the regular.  There isn't much wiggle room to my days in this season, but at the same time I can choose to make things with my hands and be rewarded with the time I do have.
This weekend my favorite moments were: 
finishing a book
writing in my journal
loading/unloading firewood with Brett
holding Brett's hand
painting leaves
picking out cute wrapping paper and tags for Christmas
cooking
baking gingerbread
smelling molasses
sitting by the warm fire
rubbing my favorite coconut moisturizer on my face
petting my bro-in-law's new puppy
listening to this song over and over and over......

The name of this song ties it all together for me.  When I've felt lost, I realize now I haven't been.  Jesus and honoring the artist in me have always given light to my path. Always. 
Such a sweet reminder that living life with Jesus means I never lose. 
When I feel my self-confidence plummet, Jesus is my rescuer. 
When I am tired and weary, Jesus grants me rest. 
Jesus helps me put one foot in front of the other, He is the ultimate MAKER, and I'm so thankful for the power of positivity He has instilled in me to fight back against the dark.

I hope you find your light amongst the dark, the power in the positive, and remember that even when you feel lost, Jesus has you. 



2 comments:

  1. Love this Rosy. Thanks for not quitting blogging. I know the struggle <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for the kind encouragement! I'm so glad you're here. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.