The Gathering Place in Tulsa!

You guys (and YES, that means you girls too, it's a southern phrase, everybody CALM DOWN) I know I've been all library lady talk (over on my IG) and it's true it's my dream job and I'm thrilled and all that jazz. 
BUT, while I was still very much in the trenches of trying to find a certified job this summer I tried really hard not to wallow in self-pity and get out there and have some fun. And we sure did have some fun! The girls and I adventured one day to The Gathering Place in Tulsa and it was the most fun ever.  It was probably the top highlight of the summer, not even kidding. 

So if you're not familiar with The Gathering Place I would recommend googling it to see what all the fuss is about.  The fuss is definitely worth it because this place is LEGIT.  I took the girls by myself so let me start kind of at the beginning of the day and tell you what I liked/didn't like in case you want to go see for yourself what an amazing place this is. 

For starters: I put the park's name in my Google maps and drove there without a single problem.  I can't remember the name of the parking lot we were in, but it was one of the ones that is a bit of a walk to the park.  Maybe a five minute walk to the park.  They had super nice restrooms in the parking lot, in a trailer kind of thing. I hadn't seen that before and after a 2 hour drive it was a welcome sight! Super convenient. 
Once in the park we followed the natural flow of the park and got around just fine, from start to finish.  They did have maps available but I gave mine away midday to an elderly gentleman.  We really didn't need them though.  A note on safety before you read about the fun parts of the park: 
Many of the slides/outdoor play places at first are quite tall and could be easy for you to lose track of a child inside.  My rules were: I don't let my eyes off my children. PERIOD.  When they're up in the big play places it is NOT the time to check the phone, etc. 
Second, my girls had to stay together. I went over this multiple times with them.
Third, we designated a specific meeting spot in case one of them got separated.
And last, I wrote my phone number on their arms and told them if they got separated to find a park worker or a MOM and have them call me. 

Too much? 
No.  Not at all! Especially not when you see the size of the play things below.

Seriously, do you see how high/fun that is?!?!


The whole entire park was SO creative, so innovative, so. much. fun!
We stayed six hours!
Don't be weirded out by this, but I read this in the bathroom and it totally inspired me.

!!!
My art heart was just racing at this wall.

I felt so empowered and brave taking my girls on a new adventure all by myself!


There was a piano you could just walk up and play!
There was also: the big playground with slides, rope bridges and ladders, etc.
A sand area
A sand and water area
A splash pad
Swings
A mirror maze
A playground just with slides
A zipline
Two ponds where you could paddle boat or canoe
....and I'm sure other things I can't remember. 
OH! And they did have a "curiosity room" too! It was just filled with all sorts of collections of things to look at.



Here are a few more details about this amazing place: 
The park is FREE. 
You can bring a picnic and there are tables provided for you to sit at or you can eat at one of the two restaurants there. We ate burgers, fries, and chicken strips and it was delicious! 

There is also a coffee/icecream shop we went to when we were SO hot, right before we left. Also, delicious! 

There are plenty of restrooms, water fountains, and a big center near the restaurant/picnic area that has WIFI and air conditioning in case you just need to sit and cool off for a minute, nurse a baby, etc.

Some of the playgrounds are quite tall and intricate.  It is best to have a plan for what to do if they get lost before sending your child up.  Just my personal opinion!

There are special events at the park throughout the year that I think would be fun to check out! I can't wait to take Brett back with the girls and I! 

Overall this park was easy to maneuver, felt safe and full of workers, and just a dream.  
Have you been here?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.