Summer make-do mantle

 I mentioned in my last post that we spent a week in FL.  We had the most relaxing time in a mobile home, in the quietest/cutest neighborhood.  Well, most of the trailers were cute. :) Ours was decorated in mostly cream, white, and tan and decorated very stylishly but also very minimally.  I can't explain how relaxing this was to my senses! I've only started to notice over the past couple of years how the wrong kind of clutter or mess only further clutters my mind.  I've always been labeled as disorganized, yet I find myself actually becoming more organized as the years go on! I even got complimented on my organization during my work evaluation this year.  So basically the minute we arrived home from vacation I was ready to cut the clutter and give my eyes something interesting but more simple to look at.  I moved the colorful kids' art that was previously on the mantle to their lego room and started gathering bits and pieces to display. 

This is what I came up with and I absolutely love it.  Even my dear Brett and girls "get" it! 
I knew for this mantle I wanted it done quickly and with props I already had on hand.  I turned a few pieces of art around backwards, grabbed an old farm window, cut some wildflowers, and wrapped my string lights around a branch.  Then, I called it done.  
I almost immediately texted my best friend (my twin sister) a photo and said "if this was at Anthro they would call it art.  So, it looks like art to me here too!". 

What about you? Do you enjoy styling your home or do you prefer to leave things as is? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.