Our Summer so far

How's summer going your way? Our summer has felt quite busy, but in a good sense of the word.  We started off Memorial Day weekend by driving to the Buffalo River a couple of days in a row. We live an hour from an awesome spot to float or swim and it is just so much fun.  We followed those couple of days up by going to Florida.  Also, so much fun! I just love the beach.  My most favorite thing to do there is look for shells and walk along the shore.  Since we've been home I've found myself needing a bit of structure to our days, but also really craving the spontaneity that summer days can bring.  This little blip of time is so short and before we know it life will be back, like clockwork.  Lunches will need packed, food prep done faithfully, and our lives a lot more disciplined.  I'm trying to really soak up the summer before all that starts again! To balance our busy days I've been really enjoying days at home, where the girls have to figure out how to have fun (no "I'm bored" allowed), and I get to declutter, organize, and clean the parts of the house that have gone neglected.  This feels sooooo good to do! 

Of course, it's never all rosy and rainbows over here.  I've still been job searching and admittedly, it has felt rather discouraging at times.  I keep being told that "it's early", but a handful of the jobs I applied for have already been filled and not by me.  So I do think some hiring is happening, just not for me yet.  Being with the kids at home all the time is also a challenge for me sometimes.  My homeschool mom friends are probably laughing at that confession, but it's true! With that said, from the outside looking in, or just from glancing at my photographs, you might think my life is really happy all the time.  Gentle reminder friend: it's not.  Sometimes it's even nothing but my mind playing tricks on me, making me feel depressed.  When those moments hit, or when something in my world truly is bothering me, I challenge myself to find something to laugh about or be grateful for.  Did you know this actually works?  It truly does! It's not just a catchy Pinterest quote.  Between writing in my journal and picking up my camera (or phone), gratitude captured completely lifts my spirits every single time.    I think you should try it! 

Now, for a look at what has captured my eye or heart so far this summer!  
We camped for a night and Betsy Grace found several four-leaf clovers in a row!
My sweet work friend is moving back home to Iraq so we met for a final coffee.  :( 
Happy mail from https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjaeger ! She makes the most beautiful fabric items!
 I've been art journaling here and there. 
I got to live out my dream of being an art teacher at VBS for our preschoolers!
All the heart eyes for preschool art!
The girls and I bought a couple of new crafts to try at Hobby Lobby, including this button kit. How cute is this?! 
More VBS preschool art!
We finally got to visit my twin sister's new house and it is seriously GORGEOUS.  
My nephew was loving on me big time and it made me so happy.
Coming home from Florida and choosing a grilled sandwich and salad at Chick-fil-a felt like I deserved a medal!
This book is SO GOOD.  
My craft room is so clean and pretty again!! It is a dream! Only took about 3 hours to clean it. (yikes)
 Celebrating Father's Day. 
 One evening Brett noticed this amazing patch of light in the front yard and called me out to see it.  Of course I ran to get my camera too and grabbed this shot.
I love this picture of my family.
 Birthday party with cousins for Anna Ruth's 8th birthday.
Bacon cooking over the campfire.  Is there anything better?! 
No.
 The girls rode their bikes a ton when we camped for the night.  Last year they weren't able to so it is such a treat this year!
 A happy, laid-back summer afternoon.
 More art journaling! When I cleaned out my craft room I started stacking up all my art journals and realized I have QUITE the stash! Seriously, like a ton. I need to photograph them or share them more somehow.  
 I painted this little canvas and liked it for some reason, even though it's quite simple. 
 We had strawberries from our own garden we picked for a while! 
 I found this cool mug at Starbucks.  I love AR!
 The Buffalo River is one of my favorite spots in the world.  We all floated in the canoe together for the first time ever and didn't dump.  I consider that a success!
 Spotted at the airport.  LOVE.
The brilliance of one of my girls.  

I've also been reading a lot before bed every night, making super simple meals, getting playdates in with people we don't see as much during the school year, working in the garden, exercising, and doing a lot of porch sitting. 

I'm looking forward to a trip to the Pioneer Woman's Mercantile, a trip with my friends to Tulsa, and more camping! 

What about you? What's going well for you this summer? What are you enjoying? What's hard for you right now and what are you doing to balance it out?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really fun. I love the Buffalo river....haven't made it to Pioneer Woman yet but my daughter-in-law & I keep talking about going. Still, I've spent a lot of days on the screened porch with my grandson this summer & nothing beats that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend a trip to the Merc! Be prepared to really love everything in the shop! It was so hard for me to narrow down my purchases. Your screened porch sounds wonderful! We sit on our porch a ton but the bugs always join us.

      Delete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.