Shake off the stupid thoughts. Have some fun instead!

I've got that Friday feeling and man it feels good!  I still vividly remember my first Friday back to work this year.  Walking out that afternoon felt like one of the proudest, happiest, pep-in-my-step feelings I've ever had.  Today feels like that too! 

The new year started shiny and well, new.  I'm not much on the whole "new year, new me" thing because it tends to bring out the self-hater voices in me big time.  But I am about taking a deep breath and having a bit of a refresh.  So I tried that the past couple weeks.  Tried to reign in some habits that weren't that healthy and create others that were.  It's going okay-ish.  Then this week came.  It was back to work and school.  Back to disciplined routines and school pick up lines and packing lunches.  I'm not gonna lie.  All of that, along with a couple other things in our world, felt brutal. this week.  

But, each day I would decide to try and do my best.  The good news? 
We made it!! 
It's Fri-YAY!
 I talked to several other people this week who also agreed, this one was a tough one.  I'm finding more and more lately how freeing it is to just be real with people.  Not a Debbie Downer, always "keeping it real" but actually sounding negative and pessimistic.  Not like that.  But instead of always just saying "I'm good", actually answering people truthfully.  Want to know a shocking truth?

When I've done that this week, every single person responded with compassion and a story similar to mine.  Every single person got it.  A couple people even threw out their advice.  My favorite advice of the week after I shared some thoughts my brain was freaking out over? 

The person just wisely said "Those thoughts are stupid.  Right?" 
They were absolutely right. 


So friends, if you're feeling a bit beat up by the week, shake it off.  We made it! 
We made it through this odd little section of time that isn't Christmas but it isn't spring either.  The glitz and glitter has been shaken off and the gardening and gathering in the sunshine hasn't yet begun.  But, here we are.  Weed through your thoughts, shake off the stupid ones, and go have some fun this weekend.  Wherever you are this Friday, I can promise you you're not alone. 

For fun I plan to: 
catch up on blog reading (I still read and ADORE blogs, even way more than IG)
Paint! (I've been working on a canvas....just haven't shown anyone)
Read "Becoming" by Michelle Obama
Listen to music with Brett
and just enjoy being home longer than an hour or two
Oh, and cook! Always cooking 

What about you? 
What stupid thoughts do you need to shake off?
What fun do you plan to have this weekend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.