I minimalized (shocker) plus new art is coming!

Is "minimalized" even a word? My computer thinks it's not, but let's just run with it.  A couple of days after Christmas something came over me. Perhaps it's what they call "nesting" or maybe just the thought of a blank slate and a new year.  Whatever it was, I suddenly couldn't handle all the stuff, specifically in the kitchen.  As I've already shared,  I am spending a tremendous amount of time cooking and educating myself on raising a healthy family.  A.k.a. eating at home almost all the time, which equals a lot of kitchen time.  So one morning Brett took the girls to town and I made it my goal to clear everything off the counter. 
This is what stayed.  It's very unlike my normal style and I simply love it.  As soon as I plugged in the "wish" letters, a sense of calm came over me and my breathing slowed.  Sounds dramatic but I'm not even kidding.  Something about all that clutter in the kitchen was making panic rise up in my throat.  I'm all for removing panic-inducing things. Even if it's as simple and silly as decluttering the kitchen. 
"Before".
"After"……
ahhhhh….doesn't that feel nice? 
I think so.  I'm warning you that I'm also going through a "let's paint everything white" phase. I don't even know who I am anymore! I think Chip and Joanna Gaines have wiggled their way into my brain. 
I moved a few other things around too, eliminating some of the clutter.  And I love it.  I may even simplify a bit more as spring gets here.  Or just keep adding to my list of things to paint white. 
(my favorite thing about the kitchen-my sweet helpers! Making granola)

I try to be intentional about what gets to stay out in our home.  I am very, very big on our home being a bright, fun, interesting place for all who walk through the doors and especially for the girls.  I like to have things they can touch and explore everywhere.  This coffee table is actually an old trunk that was Brett's dad's during the war. (WWII I believe)
The ever-changing mantle…. 
the butterfly print came from Paper Source in NYC and the old window is off the barn at Brett's childhood home.  My sweet grandparents gave me a few of the bottles, and the others I bought at a garage sale down the road.
I'm also a firm believer in having maps and globes available for exploring! Almost once a day we visit the map or globe for some reason.  I pray the girls are realizing what a big, fantastic world we live in.  Our slice of the world is pretty great (ok, really great), but there is still so much to see beyond the farm gate! 



We spend so much precious time around this dining room table. I have books everywhere in our home, all the places we might have five minutes to plop down. 
Calendar from 1Canoe2….bought at Paper Source in NYC.
Farm boots are a country gal's best friend! 
This lamp turned out to be one of my favorite things about the dining room. The base used to be black, but a few coats of paint later it looks much fresher. 

I scooted our handmade table up against the wall in the art room so the girls have a giant desk.  They love to sit at this table and color, imagine, draw, and create! 
The piano is such a hodgepodge.  A happy one I suppose. 







In my art life I've also been busy (NOT decluttering, lol) preparing a tea party for a friend. I made the decorations, styled the table, set it up a home, and photographed it for her so she could duplicate it at home.  Then I dropped off a box of party supplies the day before the tea party for her little girl.  It turned out adorable! I'll share more pictures of the table set-up with you tomorrow! 


Although we woke up to a dusting of snow this morning, we have the hope and anticipation of spring on our hearts.  I've been painting away, bright colors going here and there.  Thoughts of camping, summer skies, dreaming on dandelions are keeping me warm during these long winter days.  

I'm excited to announce the shop will open back up Monday, February 1! There will be a whole new collection of art prints, originals, and wooden, framed prints and originals as well! There will be a giant giveaway to kick things off so stay tuned! 

Now, your turn! Are you a rearranger or do things stay the same at your house? 
What do you want to see in the shop this spring? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I love the tissue paper garland. could you let me know how it was made or where I could find instructions?

    thanks for sharing should a wonderful peek into your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much for asking! I have a tutorial coming to the blog next week :)

      Delete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.