Hibernating and Hatching

Just a little food for thought today…
as a very busy mama and artist I often feel like my free time needs to produce the BEST paintings and mixed-media every single time.  Every single day.  I would say this fear of not producing something perfect or good enough comes with the territory for any maker, not just us mamas.  One could have an entire day in an art studio and still stand paralyzed by fear of getting anything down on the canvas or paper.  
A little concept I've been trying to practice lately is to trust the hibernating stage.  We are human beings after all, not big machines pumping out idea after idea after idea.  We are flesh and blood, hearts with a strong beat, fingers that feel, and souls that stir.  I, as well as you, must allow myself time to just be. Time for sitting in silence, not a phone or computer in sight.  Time to paint with my mind turned off.  Time for browsing stacks of inspiring books, without making a single "to do" list of ideas collected.  Time for baths and walks and long cups of coffee.  Time to let our bodies hibernate a bit.
What I've found is this: 
When my body and mind and soul emerges from this hibernation mode, my bucket overflows.  Kindness, deep and genuine ideas, soul for soulful art, passion for my life as wife, mama, artist and all the other roles I play….they spill over from my bucket, sloshing onto everything in its path.  
Creative sparks fly.

Today I encourage you to hibernate a bit…
and watch your ideas hatch.


7 comments:

  1. I needed this reminder today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Debbie, I ended up taking my own advice this weekend!

      Delete
  2. I just read about the online course you had awhile back, is it still available? Looks so fun and I love the names/themes for each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for your interest Dawn! It's not currently available..but maybe again someday! We'll see :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I think I need this reminder constantly- I have so little me time at the moment I want to spend it doing all of the things and then I end up putting too much pressure on myself and rushing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carie, I do this too! I get free time and look at my super long list of things I want to do..and a lot of times just end up shutting down. Good rest is so good…and them creating times are so good too. :)

      Delete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.