Preschool Play Activities

My girls and I love our long, lazy days where we can flit about from one play thing to the next.  But we also love a bit of structure.  Just about every day after nap the girls know to expect a fun activity.  Anna Ruth doesn't really nap anymore, but does quiet time instead.  As soon as I get her from her room she excitedly asks what our activity is! I love that.  
I want to share a few easy ideas with you today!
One morning I snuck around and froze some of the girls bath toys.  They really enjoyed trying to get them out in the bath water!  We made up silly stories about how the animals and trucks might have ended up in the ice and had a nice discussion about water freezing into ice.

Some days I'll just set out a new type of art material for the girls and let them figure things out on their own.  This was one of those days! I bought large sheets of black poster board from Wal-Mart and set them out with oil pastels.  The girls surprised me by how much they liked the black paper versus regular white.

On one of our many recent trips to the library we checked out this fabulous book called The Same Moment Around the World.  It introduces kids to the idea that at the same time kids all around the world are doing all sorts of different things!  I love that…I love expanding the girls' knowledge of people and languages and countries.  I picked up some different kinds of candy, chopsticks, and fortune cookies as a little treat to have while we read the book for a second day in a row.
Then the girls ate our very American meal (I'd say calling this Italian would be stretching it a bit) of spaghetti with chopsticks!  Anna Ruth actually did quite well! She really surprised me. 

I sure do LOVE doing these activities with my girls! Back when I taught fourth-grade I just dreaded even walking past the kindergarten class.  Lol.  Absolute truth.  I remember saying I'd quit before I'd teach the younger grades.  And now, I love, love the younger age.  I have so much fun watching the girls explore all kinds of new concepts.  Everything is so new to them, it's like constantly watching a lightbulb light up.  I take back what I said about kindergarteners!  

6 comments:

  1. You are such a good mommy. I got my goodies in the mail and they are just beautiful. I was surprised at how soft and yet rich the colors are and am looking for the perfect frame to put it in. Love the postcards as well and I have a feeling they will be getting framed, too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Patty, for your encouragement! I'm so glad to hear you got the goodies in the mail and liked them! Bless you again for your wonderful help!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love freezing a bit of Duplo - I've never tried putting it in their bath though, I'll have to give that a whirl next time we have a bit of spare space in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Carie, it was hard for me to find space too! And time to sneak it in there when the girls weren't around….because they're always around, lol :) :)

      Delete
  3. My little daughter also learn a new activity in her Phoenix preschool. She also seems so excited when she share her day activities with me, and her teacher seems so caring. Every day when she starts getting ready for her school, she asks me what will be my new activity mumma today. And my answer for that is just a broad smile and kiss on her face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a great Mom! The preschool play activities you have organized for kids at home are superb. It is a great inspiration for me to do something like this for my kids. I am thinking to start with fun sentence activities that I just saw at http://www.kidsfront.com/english/1.correctsentence.html.

    ReplyDelete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.