Homemade Sugar Free Hot Chocolate

 About six months ago I decided to part ways with sugar.  Peanut M and M's and I had a very (very) close bond and I loved dessert more than any other food group.  But after feeling bloated and crummy feeling I just decided enough was enough.  One too many days hiding in the pantry eating sugar left me  with more negative thoughts about my sweets than sweet ones.  So goodbye it was. 

I always get nervous passing up a dessert because it can sound so incredibly snobby to say you don't eat sugar.  The truth is, it's just a personal choice.  It doesn't have to do with losing weight for me.  It has to do with not allowing myself to depend emotionally on sugary treats, candy, and dessert.  It has to do with thinking about my overall health, not just what the number on the scale says. (which I've stopped even stepping on anymore, but that's a whole 'nother story for a whole 'nother day!)

Going sugar-free is a tiny part of my lifestyle that adds up to a much healthier me this winter.  I suppose I'll get into more details on that another day, but for now I wanted to share this truly delicious homemade hot chocolate, not a speck of sugar in sight! 

Homemade Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate:
Start by heating a cup and a half or so of almond milk on your stovetop.  You'll want to keep the heat at a very low temperature, so as not to scorch the milk.  I used Unsweetened Coconut Almond milk! 

In another saucepan, combine 1 to 1 and 1/2 TB honey (depending on how sweet you want it) and 1 to 1 and 1/2 TB unsweetened cocoa powder.  Heat at a medium temperature, stirring the entire time. 

 You'll want to mix the honey and cocoa powder together quite well, until you have a syrup like this. 
 Last, spoon the chocolate syrup into the milk and stir well.  
 Then enjoy your delicious, full of chocolate, warm treat! 
 I had my doubts about this tasting good, I have to admit.  But it only took one sip to realize how truly rich and smooth and wonderful this tasted.  Way, way, way (like a million) times better than the processed packets I've lived on before.  
And in case you're wondering, my house doesn't really look like a photo shoot! :) 
Here's my real life while I enjoy my hot chocolate. 

From our house to yours,
Happy December! 

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good! My 4 year old girlie drinks cocoa all winter long, it's the first thing she asks for when she gets up! I'll have to try this recipe, I love the idea of no sugar. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.