{DIY} Rainbow Rice Box


Good morning! 
Back to school is here, isn't it?  I admit, this time of year always brings a mix of emotions for me.  For those who don't know, I used to be an elementary teacher for five years before becoming a stay-at-home mama.  I loved teaching and look forward to getting back to it someday!  For now, it's my greatest joy to be able to teach my own children-what an opportunity! 

I had grand plans to do units of learning this summer and then summer actually happened and our days were spent with pools, popsicles, and playing outside almost constantly.  Of course every day is a learning day at our house, but we're just now getting back into the groove of including more structured play and activities into our routine. To ease us into a more school-like schedule, we started with something easy: Rainbow rice! 

This is such a fun activity for your little ones to help you make and then thoroughly enjoy afterwards! I bought the biggest, cheapest bag of plain white rice I could find and then poured some out into multiple Ziploc bags.  I then added a couple squirts of food coloring and a few tablespoons of rubbing alcohol into each bag.  Next, seal up bag number one and insert it into ANOTHER Ziploc bag-you won't to double-bag these so that your toddler help doesn't squirt the rice all over and end up with rubbing alcohol on their hands! 

Once you have the rice bags double-bagged, squeeze and smoosh the rice, food coloring, and rubbing alcohol together to create a consistent color.  

Last (I do this step myself) sprinkle the rice out on a foil-lined cookie sheet and let it dry out overnight.  

Let the fun begin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.