I got my first roll of film back.

For a few years now I've wanted to try my hand at film.  Or rather, I've had a deep longing to try a different type of photography, feeling like my Nikon had become too quick for me to figure out.  Nothing against my DSLR-I still love it.  It just felt too predictable when it came to getting the shot I wanted. 

I had looked around at film cameras online but couldn't ever land on one to buy or who to trust. I even asked for advice from a person or two that shoots film about what to purchase, still nothing ever came to fruition.  Fast forward to this summer when I won an Instagram giveaway that included a film camera.  (chills)  I *knew* that this was a little treat from God. :) 

Long story short-through trial and error, watching Youtube videos, and a lot of patience, I shot my first roll of film and got them back (digitally) today.  

Gulp.

They made me cry. I was crossing my fingers and toes hoping for at least one photo I liked.  Instead, I ended up with 21 photos I liked, some I even love. My heart is completely captured by film.

This is me bravely sharing my entire first roll of film results. The picture above and the 20 below are my favorites.  The ones after that are not my favorites at all and I really don't even like some of them.  That's how art goes though and going forward I will learn why I like the photos or not and what to do differently. 

Thanks for taking a look. :)






















The rest of the photos below admittedly, aren't my favorites due to them being overexposed, crooked, or just not quite right.  This is how we learn though, I do know that.  I know I must take hundreds of photos and paint hundreds of pages to get to the authentic art.  















And for all the naysayers wondering "why would you shoot with film when you have a Nikon DSLR and an iPhone?"  Either you know and get it or you don't.  This question/topic can't be explained in words, it's felt with the heart.  

6 comments:

  1. Very important have a dream... I loved your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ithink they are really good considering it was your first attempt, most of the ones you said you don't like are good too :-) As long as you enjoy it... Keep at it !!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank-you for the encouragement! I do enjoy this a lot....and you're right-that's reason enough to keep going.

      Delete
  3. They have such a vintage vibe! Is the appeal because of not instantly being able to see what you've captured? How did you get such depth with a film camera? So many questions, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! Thanks for being here and commenting! Yes, a HUGE part of the appeal to me is the mystery of waiting to see how the pictures will end up. When I saw the email with the digital files my heart was racing as I clicked on each one! Scrolling through my phone captures just isn't the same.

      As far as depth, I'm no expert (I think that's clear :) ) but my knowledge of f-stops did come in super handy from my digital camera. The same type of knowledge applied to taking a photo with film.

      Delete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.