Hello Spring 2021!

I've finally made it back on the blog.  I love this little blog of mine.  I'm very well aware that if people blog anymore it's mostly for a super cool business or something.  Then there's me, just plugging away at documenting life.  :) I'm feeling a tiny bit more time to catch up because this week has been spring break.  My, how it has FLOWN.  A lot of times during the work week I'll edit photos here and there, or at least pick up my camera and capture the beauty and interesting things but then lose steam and not have an ounce of energy to say anything about them or post them. 

Spring has definitely started and how glad I am to welcome it in a year that feels slightly more hopeful than last year.  Or at least things are back to normal enough that I'm having to weigh my yeses and no's and make sure I'm taking care of myself amongst the five million things to do and places to be.  That feels strange and exciting and tiring. 

Here's my everyday beauty, joy, and light captured so far in 2021. 
I thought this shot perfectly captured Brett and I.  Me: the old door and quilt.  Him: the stacked blue jeans and cowboy hat. 

One Saturday morning it was frosty and cold and so gorgeous out.  Brett and I actually woke early and took our coffee on the back deck, pretending it was a mini date. 

I mean, what is even happening in this photo? That light is something else.
Yard walks with Brett, my pjs, and hiking boots are my fave. 
Another favorite of mine is burning old things off from the winter and starting fresh for spring.  There is no feeling like it! I was proud to have burned this flower bed off myself, without the fire spreading onto the fence or going into the ditch.  
There have been an abundance of beautiful skies lately.  This particular day I think they must have been burning somewhere because a haze hung over the sky everywhere I looked.  It did make for a mysterious sunset though. 

The garden all cleaned up and planted! You should have seen it before.  Whew-a mess! I was very overzealous and overdid it with the tiller and hoe in the garden and had to go to the chiropractor a couple of times because of it.  Note to self: it's great when you're feeling good and strong, but don't overdo it!

Okay, now for the five million pictures of this table Brett built.  Two of my greatest joys and delights right now are things Brett has built and the eggs I get from my sister's chickens.  

Brett made my table dreams come TRUE and built this in one day.  How?! Way back when we first moved into this house (10 years ago) I wanted a table like this and we just couldn't find one and he wasn't making stuff so quickly like he can now.  Plus, we were pregnant with Anna so time wasn't on our side. 

But now? He gets a vision and makes this in a day and I proceed to take WAY too many pictures. 




Also, can we just talk for a minute about my current love of a breakfast sandwich made on the waffle maker? On Fridays we breakfast sandwich.  And by "we" I mean me.  A fried egg, some cheese, a certain kind of bread from the store, all made with Irish butter on the waffle maker. YUM.

This egg looks SO yellow and so delicious because it came from my sister's chickens! I've been buying some from her every other week or so and oh my goodness, they are absolutely delicious. 

Flowers and candles for days please. 

I moved this little thrifted dresser into the dining room and loaded it up with plants (both real and fake) and am loving it! Fun fact: this dresser was spray-painted and I adore the color.  



See what I mean? Art!  Although we're kind of turning into egg snobs now.  The girls and I saw some fake, decorative ones at Hobby Lobby and we all agreed that these are much prettier. 

Add in a little coffee and animal print to the candles and flowers and I am one happy gal.

I spent time last weekend with my hands in the dirt.  Potting little plants is one of my favorite things in the world to do! 

I also really, really like to cook.  As with any mom I'm sure, the week night cooking is pretty fast.  But one of my favorite memories from last year's quarantine was making this pork and tomatillo stew that takes forever to make and simmer but the effort is well worth it.  So I pulled out the recipe this week and got to work.  We ate this delicious concoction one night and then I tucked the rest in the freezer to enjoy on another night when life is back to busy.  Won't that be a treat?  Food and memories are so closely linked for me. 
SPRING! Spring and summer are my favorite times of year and I just couldn't be more excited that it's staying lighter longer, the garden is planted, and the camping and vacation are booked.  This summer will be a busy one for us, in a totally good way.  I'm also leaving space for plenty of days where the girls and I can roam the woods or have the time and space to do what we want.  As weird as it sounds, I'm already missing those hours and hours spent at home with each other, just exploring every inch of our land last spring.  It was a lonely, hard season, but the woods kept us company. 
Another item off my wish list checked off-a back deck umbrella! I sit here and study a lot. 


The skies have been so full of life lately! I especially like the big, puffy clouds.  It's that time of year where I spent countless minutes looking for rainbows.  Are you a rainbow seeker too? 
When there's sun, go sit in it. :) I truly believe it's good for our bodies and souls, especially when we let it sink in. 
A gentle reminder on some of my favorite dip. (Hope dip)

Us. 
This summer we will have been married for 13 years! We are trying to spend fun time together, not just talking about bills and the kids.  Sometimes that means we have the kids watch a movie in the other room and we cook ourselves a steak and listen to music or a live concert on the tv.  

I love him and I'm proud of us for choosing one another day in and out. :) 
A little guitar lesson from dad.
Sometimes after a long day I like to light a candle and sit in the bed, watching it glow while I read or watch something.  Remember if you too are a highly-sensitive, introverted person (a.k.a. an INFJ) to give yourself plenty of recharge time.
Found this on Brett's phone. 
The very unglamorous side to my life.  I'm still in grad school, still working away at learning as much as possible and maintaining a 4.0.  That's my goal-to graduate with a 4.0. 

I have this semester left to finish and then just two more classes.  Getting there.
An outfit I liked! These joggers are super cute and I found them at Wal-Mart.



A trip to the nursery is always fun! We like Westwood Gardens just fine, as most locals probably do.  I'll say our favorite place though and where we've done most of our spending this year is the White River Nursery in Elkins.  Locals, go give them a try! 
A work in progress in my art journal.  I always want to make more art than I do.  My energy can only go in so many places.  
I love it when I stumble upon chalk drawings the girls have done. 

Hard at work!
Outfit love again. This dress is SO full and one day I mistakenly wore it when I had car-rider duty after school and the wind was blowing that day.  We just about had a Marilyn Monroe moment! I tied my jean jacket around my waist that day and held tight to my skirt.  Needless to say, I haven't worn this dress again unless I have jeans on under it or it's not a windy day! 

"You made me bold and stouthearted". 
Saying thank-you at work to co-workers who filled out some surveys for my grad school homework.  It takes a village! 
The week before spring break was filled with dress-up days (different colors) and at least 8 or 9 hours of Zoom.  (six of those hours taking place after school for P/T conferences)
The dining room just how I like it-tidied up. 
We had THE most bizarre weather one evening! Tons of hail, rain, and sun and then a rainbow for about a minute.  Brett was just down the road coming home from work and didn't have any of it. Weird. 
A heart I found on the laundry room wall.
Kid art by a kindergartener.

I love my students. I love my job. I don't blog about it a whole lot, but just like I don't blog about my personal friends or my own kids.  The nearest and dearest to my heart don't always make it to this space.  
See? Another beautiful spring day when everyone else is outside and I'm in studying.  I take these as reminders to myself to be proud for how hard I'm working.  Because what no one thinks about are the hours spent even during spring break studying.  So self-I see you! 


Love the pretty colors and textures found at the nursery.  
Looking for morel mushrooms, the great hunt of spring.  What I wouldn't do for a big plate of those fried in lots of Irish butter right now...


Outfit love.

The truth behind the scenes is that I haven't felt well (due to endometriosis) for a whole week. For the entire spring break.  I won't go into details, but just know it's really hard to look nice on the outside and be trying your best to be cheerful and energetic for your family but really have pain that's 10/10 or sometimes 12/10.  I'm looking into some remedies and solutions......this is just your gentle reminder that most people under the surface are dealing with a LOT more than you'd know at first glance. 




We decided on a whim to go on a little getaway for a night! We went to the Wonders of Wildlife Aquarium and museum in Springfield and highly recommend it!! 
We also stayed in the cutest Airbnb! I need to share more pictures of it soon.

We ate some ok food and some really good food! Let's face it, the closer Brett and I get to 40 and the more we cook at home the more we'd rather do just that.  We like our food better! 

We did eat some amazing burgers and crab beignets while we cheered the Razorbacks on and we're going to the Sweet Sixteen!!! Tomorrow's game couldn't get here soon enough. We cannot wait! I even thrifted myself a Razorback shirt to wear. The team hasn't gone to the Sweet Sixteen since I was MUCH, much younger. 
Gulp.

I love found messages.
Branson-you were fun! 
My new favorite jeans EVER.  These are the high-waist straight jean from H & M and were $19.99.  They fit like a dream, even in the waist!
Do you see the rainbow?
Our favorite library (the Springdale one) is back open, no appointment needed even! WOOHOOOOOO.  Made this librarian's heart very happy indeed. 

Two of my favorites that have seen me through the last year.  My journal and this cookbook.  If you want to make the best french fries of your entire life, make the ones from this book. We nicknamed them "forever fries" because they are super time consuming but I lost count how many times last year I would make them during the quarantine.  It was an event in and of itself.

Beautiful flowers and beautiful company at Grandma's! Another huge blessing to this year is being able to go visit Grandma and Papaw and knowing I am vaccinated and they are almost done with their doses too! 
You are something special.

Let that sit in your heart for a minute.
Pretty obsessed with this work in progress. Not sure which direction it's heading yet.

Just wow! Heading home from getting Mexican take-out for dinner, after watching Yes Day with the girls. 
The truth is, this week HAS been full of productive things, like starting the spring break off with a several hour session of cleaning out the fridge and pantry. I've also cleaned out the girls' closets, made a haircut appointment, got the oil changed, and on and on.  That's real life for this working, grad school mama! Spring break is time to catch up on things.

But I've also stopped the hustle and been intentional about giving myself breaks, letting life slow down a little bit, and not needing to have every minute scheduled.  I think if we've learned anything at all in the past year it should be that life is really short.  It matters.  I don't want to just hustle my way through my days, never stopping to lean in and listen to what is good and journal it out or give myself space to really live without constantly checking my phone or the to-do list. 

I can really lose focus on that so quickly this year, I've noticed.  In being so grateful that things are opening up, people are filling our lives again, and our calendar is excitedly full, may I not forget to honor the rest, the courage to say "no" and give myself and my family space.

There is a different level of life and rest and wonder waiting to be found in the space I can choose to give myself and my family or not.  I learned that last year, or rather the situation forced me to learn it.  

I've found myself being very reflective this spring.  You know what I mean?
What's good for you? What wishes and worries are you holding?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.