Rosy in the real life: back after a break!

Hello friends! I feel like I should start this jumping back into the social media world post with a giant sigh and a big "How are you?"  How I wish you were here in person to lean in close and tell me, truly, how your corner of the world is.  Are you warm or still freezing and wishing for spring? Is your family healthy, or like us, going on almost a month straight of someone being sick?  Are you loving life or trudging through some deep stuff? Or maybe both? I'm usually a both kind of gal, as you well know.  I decided a few weeks ago to unplug from social media.  I was coming off a week of the very dreadful flu and the idea that I was too plugged in had been nagging me for weeks.  It was as if I could hear the begging and pleading from my own life and mental well-being everywhere I listened, to get off the screens and get quiet, so to speak.  

So I did. 
I loved it.  It's hard for me to put into words the freedom I felt from not scrolling through the socials for any number of numbing reasons.  I found myself reaching for a book, my journal, or art journal instead of staring into everyone else's life.  I listened, TRULY listened, to music! I listened to podcasts and talked about them with Brett. I looked out the window for hours, simply watching the world go by.  I talked to friends more face to face, took meals to others, and engaged with the living and breathing souls that I encountered in real life.  All with a less cluttered mind, a more relaxed body, a less distracted soul.   I painted my nails, started some new projects at home, and painted canvases with the girls.  I even made falafel! 
So why am I here today?  Well, I did miss my blog.  This space has been an online journey of sorts for me for well over ten years! I like coming here.  Perhaps I'm old school but showing up here feels like gathering on my front porch.  It just seems to invite longer conversations, less scrolling through and more thinking, and honestly reminds me of the rosy that is real life.  That's enough reason for me to jump back into the world of social media, albeit somewhat timidly.  I'm going to put IG back on my phone because I miss being able to message so many of you! But, I don't think I'll scroll nearly as much.  Maybe just when I'm on the treadmill.  I'm not going to put FB back on my phone.  I just find it dreadful and toxic.  
You know what isn't dreadful or toxic? Looking for the rosy in our real lives.  I've tried to think of a situation or season when this wouldn't be a good idea.  Like, would it EVER actually be a good idea to quit looking for something good, some ray of hope? I can't think of too many situations, if any at all.  Immense tragedy or deep depression came to mind at first, but I think even then, surely we must need some hope to float up next to us.  I had a lot of thinking time over the spring break and I've come to the conclusion yet again, that I am simply here on Earth to be in the business of hope.  I might not have much else figured out on any given day, but I feel strongly in the power of showing up with great kindness first towards ourselves and then out of that filled up cup, towards others.  I think a huge part of treating life and others with kindness is to look for the rosy and the joy.  Have you ever been around someone who does this?  They just feel good, don't they? 
Take these little snapshots for example.  The flowers captured were a routine visit to Lowe's.  Yet I found myself completely enamored with all this color! All these textures! I couldn't take my eyes off them, such beauty and color after such a drab winter.  

This little art piece caught my eye on a quick trip to St. Louis.  The expressions are so real life and make me chuckle.  I suppose I've felt a bit like every single one of these women!
This light at another St. Louis establishment just totally captured me.  I just stared and stared at it.  It was as if I had plugged myself right into an IV of sunshine.  I felt lifted and full of bright light after.  
This little scene also made me smile.  Just a little one sitting so patiently.  I think this photo could easily tell a story.
Yes! Another message of hope spotted at the library.  Isn't this awesome?! I think they should make grown-ups read more books like this! 
Latte art is always worth stopping for.
All the praise hands for moving our bedroom collection of plants out to the back deck!
It's the time of year we eat, lounge, read, and listen to music outside. 
Betsy Grace (my fellow searcher for light, love, and joy) discovered this.  It simply took my breath away and has every time since that I've looked at this photograph. 
"Mom, look a rainbow on my hands!" 
And this is exactly what I mean. When we unplug ourselves, our people notice.  It doesn't just benefit us, it also benefits our world.  I'm all for using these online platforms in small doses.  How cool is it that I've made real-life friends with so many of you because of social media? It's pretty awesome.  

Today, will you unplug a bit and look for the light? 
Take a peek around the corner and see if something hopeful sits waiting for you to notice.
Read a book and linger over the words.
Close your eyes and really take in the words of a favorite song. 
Cook a new recipe and don't share a picture after. Instead, just slowly savor the flavors. 
Twirl, dance, hug your people. 
Memorize the eye color of the people in your world. 
Do your nails and exercise, because it feels good. 
Show up to your life, look for the rosy in the routine, and meet me here again tomorrow! 
I've got some posts on body kindness I'm excited to share! 

Hugs friends. You got this today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.