in the land of grown-up girls

In the land of grown-up girls we have conversations about all kinds of things, what comes out next always a constant surprise. 
We have first wiggly teeth, kids that sleep all night, and not a single tardy all year at school.

The land of grown-up girls means cousin sleepovers, games galore, and homework every night.  
It also means travel plans we'd never dreamed of when they were babies, no nap times, and opinions about more and more things (especially clothes). 
Lest you think the land of grown-up girls is entirely grown-up, let me remind you (and myself) that it also means handwritten Valentine's, dancing when you feel like it, and the feeling of riding a bike over 5 miles for the first time. 

It means still picking chicken nuggets over Asian food, playing pretend for hours and hours, and being by our sides more often than not. 
The land of grown-up/but still little girls means wishes like "I wish to have peace in the whole world." 

It means being little enough in age but big enough in bravery to continually try new things without apologizing for it or hanging a head in embarrassment.  

From sports, dancing, games, and gymnastics, my grown-up girls unapologetically take up space in their world. 

It means being little enough to have big tears when big feelings come, but then much more easily than us true grown-ups, be able to shake them off and let life move along. 

Don't you think the land of grown-up girls there is much for us to learn? 

I do. 

2 comments:

  1. OMGoodness – I LOVE this! I can already see the "grownup" in my spunky 3.5-year-old grandbaby girl and the doors that are slowing opening via days without naps, etc. And yes – so much for us to learn – or think back to – from these wee loves. Thank you for this post – it was lovely and brought a smile to me on this cold winter day. My grandson wee love is also such a joy at 7.5 – the transition is just a bit different with boys I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for sharing your story with me! I'm so glad you're here!

      Delete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.