Camping at the Buffalo


This fall we enjoyed the most wonderful time camping at the Buffalo River.  This was our first time to camp there, although we had been to enjoy the river on a previous trip.  Something we like to do before camping at a new to us spot is to check it out beforehand.  We had already done that with the Buffalo Point campground and knew it looked wonderful! 

We were right. 
We arrived after dark and quickly got our pop-up camper set up for the night.  Something I really like about our pop-up is that we can pretty it up as much as we want, or not.  I'll usually at least hang a strand of string lights, but really all the other extras (like flowers, a tablecloth, etc.) don't have a huge effect on whether or not we have fun.  You all know me-I love a good tablescape or decoration.  But I'm learning sometimes less is more, especially when setting up in the dark. 
What could compete with this view anyway? 
One of the most glorious parts about camping is waking up the next day to fog.  Beautiful, thick, mysterious fog. 



My people. 





We walked just a few steps from our campsite to these stairs, which led right down to the river.  The fog was so thick you could have cut it with a knife early in the morning.  We crept down in our robes and jammies and stood silently to behold the most majestic crane standing in the river.   It's a memory that will forever be etched in my mind. 


It is always such a treat when Nana camps with us!!
Coffee by the campfire is my fave. 




Another really fun adventure to have while at the Buffalo is to hike around the historic town of Rush.


Skipping rocks is always a fun challenge as well!  
Come to think of it, I don't know that I've ever even tried.  I usually leave it up to the pro's-Brett and his mom! 

Last year I sewed new fabric over our brown camping curtains and it has done a lot to make the pop-up look cheery and bright.  

Water sparkles are just magic to me.
The water was higher on this particular trip, but last time Brett and the girls and I went to the Buffalo we all swam out to this rock together, hundreds of tiny fish swarming around us.  It was amazing.
This was probably our last camping trip of the year, I'm sad to say. Camping isn't something I was originally on board with.  Brett had the idea and kept asking me about it until finally I said "yes" to buying a camper, just to get him to quit asking.  That is the honest, funny, brutal truth.  I had no idea what a GIFT camping would be to our family.  I'm so glad Brett talked me into it!  What fun we've had! 

Now that we've closed the camper doors for the season I'm ready to start planning next year's trips.  If you're within a couple hours of Northwest Arkansas, where do you recommend camping?

p.s.-I found a literal treasure on this camping trip. Come back Monday to read the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.