I want to move you.









Move you like that: by Kelly Clarkson

"Like the first time that you listen to your favorite singer live
Like an echo in a canyon
Like tears, but you're not sad
Like a sunrise on a mountain
I wanna move you like that. 

Like a symphony at sundown, in the middle of July
When a lyric really gets you and it breaks you down inside
Like the home that you were raised in 
Like faded photographs
Like the thrill of Christmas morning
Yeah, I wanna move you like that.

Like a solemn hallelujah
Like a choir shouts amen
Like your first time falling in love on a stairway up to heaven
Like a soldier who is falling as he holds his country's flag
And he fights for freedom's calling
I wanna move you like that.

Like an endless fire burning
Like a hope that fuels the light
Like the hands that simply hold you, when words can't make it right
Like the first time that I met you, I fell so hard, so fast
Like that montage in a movie,
mmmm, the way you move me.

I wanna move you like that."

This might be a lot to expect of myself when it comes to photography, but the first time I heard this song and these lyrics I thought that's exactly how I want to move people with my photographs.  Doubt tries to tell me there are gobs of good photographers and I'm just one more among the crowd. 

But God tells me that my eyes are unique. ( yours are too ! ) 
When I take a photo, I want to feel something. I want to capture something that my ordinary, busy eyes wouldn't have noticed on their own. I want to peel the curtain back on regular days, schedules, carpool lines, and commonplace pictures.  I want to instead, be dazzled by this one beautiful, messy, glorious, tangled life we get to lead.  I want to have a fire that burns in my belly not for photography alone, but instead for life.  That's what I want my photographs to capture. 

(I'm excited to share a new film with you later this week)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.