meet our baby calf

Brett and I try to go out on a date once a month, or once every two months.  You may be wondering what that has to do with a baby calf, but such is our life.  While out for dinner a week or so ago I get a text from one of my dearest friends in the world, who also happens to be my neighbor.  She thought something was going on with one of our mama cows, but wasn't sure?  

Sure enough, she was right.  Not long after more texts and phone calls start coming in about a mama having trouble (or so it seemed) with her labor, bellowing from the other cows, and just more drama than is normal for a calf being born.  We came right on home, scooped up the girls, Nana, and the farm truck, and went to check on the calf.  Our neighbors had been so kind to keep watch over it, seeing as it's mama wasn't showing interest in taking care of it.  This isn't typical, but can sometimes happen with a first-calf mama.  
And lo and behold, through a series of trial and error with very little luck, the mama still didn't take to her calf so I did instead.  Yes, that's right, I am now bottle-feeding this bull calf two times a day.  He moos when he seems me and will walk along beside me in the pasture. Now that he's growing and getting SO strong already I have to run and climb the fence to ever get away. 
Without further ado, meet our baby calf. 



(come back tomorrow for a closer look at what a photo session is like if you book me this spring/summer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.