Offer appreciation of the small things



"Celebrate the small stuff"sounds like SUCH a cliche'.  I've been gently accused of being too silly or too day dreamy or having my head in the clouds too often more than once.  But folks, my favorite people in the entire world are the ones that don't sweat the small stuff.  They welcome me into their homes, pushing guilt or messes (or both) aside.  They crack up at little things, throw BIG laughs out into the world over tiny jokes.  These light-bearers are what I try to be like. 

Let's be honest.  "The world", whether that means the BIG world we live in, or the circle we call "home" has enough confusion/heartbreak/sad/bad….BIG, heaping amounts full that leave our hearts puzzled and barely pieced together, our fingers scratching our heads. So why not throw some light out into all that big, bad darkness?  

I remember a time when I was in high-school, sitting on the shore of a lake at night with some friends.  I looked at the stars piercing the dark, night sky and literally couldn't quit staring.  I heard a nudging in my spirit…a message loud and clear, that no matter how dark things felt or really got….there would always, always be a light piercing the darkness for me.  A light WITH me, a light for me to call my own and place into the dark night sky. 

Friends, Jesus is the light of the world.  He tells us that if we have faith even the size of a mustard seed…mountains can be moved.  Something tells me He believes in the small stuff.  He came in the most humble, small way someone could.  I mean, let's be honest.  He could have come Broadway musical style, with high kicks and musical ballads to boot.  That DOES seem more fitting doesn't it?  But here He came on to the earth, tiny and small. 

You might be wondering why it even matters to offer appreciation of the small things.  Well, I've learned over the last few years that when I piece together my story of "the small stuff", the story of God's faithfulness begins to take shape, I'm kinder to others, I have more fun, and people are more drawn to being around me, giving me more opportunity to share the love of Jesus with them. 

To put it quite simply, appreciating the small things offers a gentle path of thanksgiving to usher me into the daily presence of God.  God is here, on this earth.  He hasn't left us here to suffer until Heaven.  He's whispering in the wind, shimmering in the beads of frost, His peace covers the earth with snow like a blanket, He's the heart rock I just "happen" to find, the morning shadows, the colors that make my eyes light up, the tight hugs from the girls, the sunsets that only He could create….

I dare you to offer your appreciation of the small things this week and see how your world is changed.  Take photos of it, journal it, share it, shout it from the rooftops if you have too. 
Let me know how it goes. :)

1 comment:

  1. There came a time in my life Sara when I realised that what I thought were the small things were actually the big things. Now many years down the road I really appreciate the 'small' things, the hugs, the laughs, the words of comfort and hope given with love, the beauty of everyday miracles. I try not to take anything for granted. Thank you for your beautiful reminder.

    ReplyDelete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.