DIY Sewing Pattern Flowers

I sure do love a good DIY blog.  Problem is, I'm terrible at posting DIY projects myself!  I don't mean to be and certainly want to get better.  I think it's a trick to think that creative projects must require a lot of time, money, and skill.  Some most certainly do.  But not most I enjoy! I say "Creativity for all!" 

Today I want to share with you how easy it is to make these sewing pattern flowers.  
You'll start by gathering a few simple supplies: Scissors, a piece of foam (or cotton balls), a sewing pattern, floral wire, and some crepe paper if you want to make a colored version! 
Start by cutting a tiny square out of your foam piece, or simply grab your cotton ball.  If using a square piece of foam, fold it in half creating a ball shape.
Next, cut a small square of colored paper, tissue paper, or fabric.  This will be the middle of your flower so the possibilities are quite endless.Wrap the crepe paper around your piece of foam or cotton ball.
Now is where the wire comes in!  I usually cut a piece about a foot long to create my flower with.  You'll use the same piece of wire for the entire flower so you want to make sure it's long enough.  This stuff is super thin and so easy to cut off the extra when you're done.
Wrap the wire very tightly around the middle of your flower five or six times at least.
It should look a little something like this when you're done, with the extra long piece of wire left hanging down.  Don't cut it yet! You're going to use that piece of wire for your flower petals. 
Now you'll want to cut your flower petal pieces.  I usually cut a whole stack of petals similar to this shape.  You'll only use two or three petals per flower but once you make one flower I can almost guarantee you'll want to make more so go ahead and cut through a big stack of patterns at once.  The thin paper makes it very easy to get a lot done quickly. 
Now here comes the fun part!  The secret to getting your pattern paper to look like flower petals is to scrunch the paper up close together at the bottom.  You want to gather up the bottom of the petal in your hand like this.
You will then place the petal around the flower middle.
Repeat with two or three other flower petals, depending on what kind of look you're going for. 
Remember that long piece of wire I told you not to cut off?  This is why! You're now going to wrap the wire very, very tightly around the entire flower, petals and all.  
And that's it! You're done! 

Isn't she a beauty?!
I repeated these same steps, but created crepe paper petals instead of sewing pattern ones and both were just stunning! 

You can then do so much with your flowers! You could easily wrap the wire around a branch and display them in a vase, attach them to the top of a pretty package, use them as napkin rings, sew them in a long string to create a banner, display them in a basket, or even hot glue them to a frame! 

I chose to hot glue mine to the vintage chalkboard that hangs on our front porch! 
(the rest of the porch reveal coming tomorrow!)

Now wasn't that easy?!

Creating can be quick and fun!
I hope you'll feel inspired to try some of your own this week. 
Let me know how it goes! 

2 comments:

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.