Savor the slow.

Three little words. One HUGE meaning I'm trying to grasp lately. 
Savor
the 
slow.
I've tried to write this post several times, with just the right words.  I've tried mixing the sentences up this way and that.  And yet I find myself at a loss for words instead. 

I don't think the meaning of "savor the slow" can quite be contained in a few letters strung together…at least not right now for me.  It's not a lesson I've learned yet...Instead, it's more about a loud beating in my heart and feeling the heartbeat of God everywhere I look.  
It's breath-taking skies,
friends truly in the deepest need,
praying while drinking hot cups of coffee,
baking bread that will hopefully do more than just nourish a tummy.

Savor the slow means stopping to notice,
silence,
breathing deep,
books instead of the computer,
planning play dates with friends and then actually meeting, messy house or not,
inviting more people in, not out,
noticing the birds' beautiful song,
a long bubble bath,
and showering those around me with kindness. 


It's spending an hour on Mama's bed with a HUGE stack of library books,
farm drives with my girls,
hugging extra long,
reading nightly Bible stories,
and having one more talk about treating ALL people with kindness.
(and then praying again and again the words are settling in deep)
Savor the slow means taking time to make things look pretty because it fills up my eyes and soul.
It means giving myself permission to look people right in the eyes and care about their story…and get teared up.

It means starting a gratitude list.
Letting people matter more than house chores.

These three words are ringing loud in my ears lately. 

3 comments:

  1. So good. God is teaching me so many similar lessons right now. Its such a season of pruning - trimming back the unnecessary to discover what truly matters. To let the beautiful things grow and the ugly dead ones to fall away! Love your soul lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good. God is teaching me so many similar lessons right now. Its such a season of pruning - trimming back the unnecessary to discover what truly matters. To let the beautiful things grow and the ugly dead ones to fall away! Love your soul lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I really enjoyed this. For me it means the same thing as quiet time. You can't hear the Lord's whispers if you are running around like a crazy woman. Thank you for the wonderful reminder. I hope you have an awesome week!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.