I'm learning Manual Mode (Photography)

Once upon a time there was a blog post where I gave annoying example after annoying example of the difference in automatic versus manual mode.
And this would be that blog post. :)

I'm going to apologize in advance if this annoys you or isn't your thing.  BUT, photography is my thing.  It's my lense through which I see the world.  My life journal. The lyrics to my life song.  

I've wanted to learn manual mode for a long time.  And like I shared in my fair post, I'm in the beginning stages of learning what works and what doesn't.  And I'm learning!  It's an exciting, slightly intimidating journey to start on.  With more knowledge comes more opportunity for criticism.  From myself and others.  But we all have to start somewhere.......  This is my somewhere.  


Something I've been doing a LOT of is take a picture in manual mode, using the knowledge I have to correctly set the ISO, etc. and then take the same shot using the automatic feature....to see if there's a difference.  I am surprised every single time by the big difference manual mode truly makes.  

I'm not near as good as I'd like to be (with all the techincal stuff....I like my styling eye just fine)...
BUT, I'm being brave and learning.  I'm deciding to put myself (and my learning pictures) out for the world to see, maybe inspiring a few others to try something new and let others in on the process?

A hidden life is so much safer.  What I'm finding lately is that being an open, creative, brave person is equal parts frightening and exhilarating.  
Thoughts today?

5 comments:

  1. I love this! I've been fiddling with Mr. Mister's camera here and there while using the manual mode. So far the only thing I really understand is how to correct the white balance. ISO just confuses me. Yay for learning adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading a great book on my camera and doing the set challenges for each new term learned. It is a lot of trial and error, practice, and being brave. BUT-I'm loving the results! Glad you're getting to play with this some too :)

      Delete
  2. I've never taken photos in both and compared! That's pretty cool the difference! I will have to use it more than I've been doing instead of AV mode. Thanks for sharing your practice. Oh, and do tell, what's that book? I like the challenges for each new term learned that you mentioned in above response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the perfect post for me, because I am trying to figure it all out myself. What book are you studying? I think I need it. The book I have isn't helping me the way I had thought it might.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay friends-the book I'm using is written specifically for my camera but the man writes them for all kinds of cameras I believe. It's called Nikon D3000: From Snapshots to Great Shots, by Jeff Revell

    I love it! It has helped me a ton....along with time and practice of course :)

    ReplyDelete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.