Snow day.



 It snowed!
Not a lot, but that's neither here nor there. We woke to the sounds of sleet and my mind immediately went into uncomfortable, this isn't fun mode.  It reminded me so much of the sound we heard during our horrific ice storm several years back.  I turned my back to the windows and carried on with my morning.  Later on though, the most wonderful surprise arrived. 

Snow. Not sleet pelting the ground, but the soft, gentle sound of snow falling to the ground.  The girls and I were utterly delighted!  We sat by the fire, went sledding at home and on the farm, crunched our feet through the piles, examined icicles and snowflakes up close, threw it in the air, and made snow angels.  







 Admittedly, this time of year can be such a struggle for this normally rosy spirit of mine.  I feel like I'm trudging through January and February.  But this snow? 

It totally put a pep in my step, gave my eyes something to light up at, and gave us something new to play with.  

 Maybe it's because we so rarely get snow in Arkansas anymore, but whatever the reason, snow always feels magical to us. 




Today felt so wonderful and life-giving to be outside, breathing deep and getting some exercise. 
It was deeply satisfying to come in, sit by the fire, and then rise to make a warm bowl of soup. 

Friends, it really is the small things. 
Sometimes I tell myself to just put one foot in front of the other and do the things that I know spark joy and surely one of the footsteps, it will work. 
Today I put one foot in front of the other and went outside.  It wasn't long before it worked, a deep belly laugh had found its way into the open, its sound splitting through the quiet on the farm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.