practice your art

Three simple words with a very big meaning for me right now-practice your art. 
It's a message that just won't leave me alone, showing up in the nooks and crannies of the books I'm reading, the music in my ears, and the podcasts I occasionally tune into it.  

I posted a photograph of a painting on my IG account recently and asked if anyone painted, just for the fun of it, anymore.  The response was what I expected.  A few said they really missed it, the joy of creating/painting.  Some even said they knew they needed to paint but didn't allow themselves the time very often.  Folks, I get it.  

Art is something I've given a lot of thought.  Why bother when there are certainly enough chores, loads of laundry, and exercises routines that sit peering back at me, just waiting their turn.  Why stick painting in?  And why this message to practice?  Isn't practice just what we need with things that pay off in a big way? 

I don't think so.  Shauna Niequest said it best-"When we wonder why art and creativity matter to us in such deep and moving ways: because we (& all of creation) were created by an Artist."

This is why I create, no matter what. 
Because I just have to, I can't not.  My body craves it, just as much as exercise and a good night's sleep.  Plus, it's just fun.  I've always thought of myself as an artist.  I'm realizing lately it's up to me to live as if I am one, or not.  I could easily bury this love and passion and no one would ever know that side of me.  Wouldn't that be sad?  
Because you know what?

Art is fun.  SO much fun. 
Whether it's doing a photo shoot, painting, or planning an epic belated birthday party in the yard, this is the rich side of life! 

Back to that message God keeps sending my way.  KEEP. MAKING. ART. 
Everyday, do something artistic.   Let that paintbrush do its thing! 
Click the camera! 
Keep.
Making. 
Art.
Practice your art.


Your turn.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.