Summer 'round here.

I've been longing to pop into this space.  As an almost textbook introvert I overthink just about everything when it comes to my words and heart. So warning: I'm just going to jump in today and not worry that I'm only giving you the highlight reel.  Because want to know a secret?  

I am only showing the highlight reel for now! On purpose.  I read a quote by Glennon Doyle last week that has just given me the biggest sigh of relief and head nod because I get it.  She says "No completing but no abandoning.  The secret is to not allow the fact that you can't do everything keep you from doing something.  Something, then rest.  Something, then rest.  Everyday-at some point-I put it all away and melt into my people and my couch and food and gratitude and -joy!-and I forget it all.  Then I go to sleep and wake up and begin again.  Begin and quit everyday! No problem."

The real world isn't rosy and that isn't lost on me.  I know it, I see it, I feel it, I ache because of it.  Photography, blogging, and journaling are the way I rest and "quit", if you will.  They are my armor against a cruel world, my rosy remedy.  

So let's get started, shall we? 
1.) I captured this magical shot during our July 3rd fireworks extravaganza and it took my breath away.  I wasn't even looking through the camera lens, but instead was shooting from "the hip".  Want to know a secret?  This is often the method I use to get my most magical, favorite shots. 

2.) The girls have done Legos for daeaaaays.  I can't even imagine a house or table without the tiny plastic pieces invading every space.  I wouldn't have it any other way. 

3.) We went to Brett's mom's house for our 4th of July celebration and it was a lot of fun!  Fireworks are on my list of things that never, ever, EVER get old.  I even talked Brett into buying a pack of extra-long sparklers to save for my birthday in a couple of months.  The kids especially liked the fireworks this year and getting to stay up late. 


3.) We went camping again a couple of weeks ago!  I think there are mostly two types of people in this world: the outdoorsy/camping type and those who prefer not to do either!  You can guess which type I am.  This was a really, really great trip.  We like to camp at Dam Site Park, which is a campground super close to Beaver Lake and right on the White River.  We enjoy boating on the river, cooking delicious food and relaxing at the campsite, and exploring one of our favorite towns, Eureka Springs.  I have become friends with one of the art shop owners and got a great, big hug from her when I walked into her shop.  It just doesn't get better than that. 

And for those of you wondering, the campsite really doesn't get as hot as you'd think because of the cool air blowing off of the White River.  We also pack a stand-up fan to plug in right outside our camper door and our pop-up has air-conditioning.  (hallelujah) 
4.)  The flowers alone take my breath away this time of year.  It just feels so much friendlier outside when there are flowers waiting to greet me!  I always miss them terribly in the winter.  Something about the zinnias especially catch my eye.  Perhaps it's the layers or the ombre color.
5.)  Our garden is coming along nicely too!  We have just started to pick our first ripe tomatoes and there isn't anything like them.  There just isn't!  The flavor, with a bit of salt, and the juiciness is incomparable.  We also have okra, onion, peppers, and some kale growing.  

6.)  Some more out of order camping photos! 
Isn't that water just glistening so wonderfully?  I'm definitely a water gal.  Get me near the beach, a creek, river, or lake and I am just happy as I can be.  

We have just a few weeks of summer left and then it's on to work for me and off to school for the girls!  What is on your summer list that we should add to ours? 

What are you reading/listening to/watching?

I am reading a food memoir,
listening to the Relevant Podcast and Leon Bridges,
and watching Food Network, America's Got Talent, and World of Dance (when I have time!).

I'm looking forward to: a mini girl's trip,
an anniversary trip (10 years!!),
Mama Mia 2,
and compiling a film from my last photo session. 

I'm having to let go of a few expectations or at least go with "good enough" in a few areas of life this summer, like exercise/eating perfectly 24/7, a clean house, and getting everything on my to-do list done every single day.  

2 comments:

  1. You mentioned going to work. Are you a teacher? Or did you accept a job new to you? Curious....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be an elementary teacher before becoming a stay-at-home mom. I am now back to work as an instructional assistant while working to renew my teaching license!

      Delete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.