Social media is like sugar.

Listen, can we just call out something for what it is on this hot Friday? The odd little world social media has created is crazy.  I don't know a nicer or more accurate way to put it.  Just this last week I read several women's posts and listened to their IG stories where they confessed the curated, picture-perfect HUSTLE of the internet was making them feel bad.  I even quickly responded to one gal's video and said that yes, sometimes my self-esteem plummets after scrolling through social media.  You can only browse through so many size 4 bods with flat tummies and toned arms before your size 8 bod starts to give the sad side eye.  

Y'all, this is just garbage.  Absolute garbage. 
I often watch my girls play uninterrupted and not once do they stop to worry about the future, lament about the past, or compare themselves and feel bad.  (Ok, except for maybe when playing a game of checkers with their Nana and then their comparison game is strong, lol)  My point is, they just play.  They're free.  Their only thought being "when is the next snack?" and "will mom let us have ice cream?".   

The part I don't want to admit?  We're all feeding the crazy.  We do it to ourselves! 
I think we would all be so much happier and breathe deeper if we put down our phones and lived our lives.  Then, picked the phones back up as a means of connection, sharing our businesses, and closing the gap between your life and mine.  Then, repeat.  Back to our own lives. 

Because if your life is anything like mine, it's always a mix of everything. 
It's made up of healthy days and struggle days. 
Big, belly laughs and sad sighs. 
Deep breathing and falling into bed completely spent after another summer day with the kids all day.
It's a life full of deep friendships that never even make it to social media. 

My life is full with things like boring house chores, friendships, teaching Sunday school, getting to know my neighbors, trying to eat and exercise for health, dating my man (married almost 10 years!), running my photography business, and getting ready to enter the teaching world again. 
My days are full of my girls, the farm and garden, trying to be disciplined and learn and grow as a human being, cooking, and actually getting out into this BIG, beautiful world instead of hiding at home.  My days are both happy and sad and usually a combo of both.  I don't have everything, or much of anything really, "figured out."  I DO have a long bucket list and dreams and hopes and a journal I keep daily. A lot of that (most of it) never makes it to social media either.  

You are the perfect body type.  
You have an abundant life.  Right now. 
The people around you so desperately need you. 
There is beauty to be found in your days. 
Social media is like sugar.  Just a bit is all we need. 
There is nothing wrong with you or I. 
No one is perfecting their marriage, friendships, cooking, outfits, body, traveling, work, children, and social life all at once. I just don't believe it. 
We're all just doing the best we can. 
It's garbage to feel less than after scrolling. 
Just put the phone down and dance it out! 


4 comments:

  1. So true, Sara! I hate that our kids are growing up seeing so many fake lives. Of course, back in the day, we had Teen Beat, 17 Magazine and Glamour :) Those made me want to live like a hollywood star, of course :) But seriously, one of the things that bothers me so much about social media is having to take in so much information about everyone! It's so stressful! In the old days, we didn't know 300 people's problems! We only knew of a few people's struggles - your family, friends, or neighbors. Today, it's making us feel like we know people and taking on their burdens, which isn't our job. I keep hoping that it will fade and people will get back to focusing on their small circle and quit trying to be someone they were never meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, so sorry these comments are showing up so light and I am so bad at responding. :/ Now that we have that out of the way, thank-you for your thoughts! I could not agree more!! We are just not wired to process five million problems that really aren't ours to take to heart anyway. We each have enough of our issues without needing to take on more. I like how you said it "isn't our job". Keep being you! :) :) :)

      Delete
  2. Your words are always so wise and well worded. I often think how glad I am that I raised my girls before facebook, instagram or even Pinterest. I know I am ancient. LOL I love the sugar analogy and for this borderline diabetic, people pleaser, I need to be doubly careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty! :) I wish I could have raised my girls before all the social media! I'm not quite sure how we'll navigate FB, IG, etc. with them when they get older but hopefully I'm setting a good example for them now. I'm trying at least! :)

      Delete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.