Easy Graham Cracker Gingerbread Houses!

 One year, before I was a mama, I spent some quality time with my sweet neighbor girl from church.  She was in my discipleship class and just a joy to be around.  We set our ambitions high: we were going to make our own homemade gingerbread and build our very own gingerbread house for the church's Christmas competition.  

I carefully baked the gingerbread and we decided to only use frosting and candies on the house.  No glue.  We sure enjoyed ourselves, but boy did our house look like a mess.  No really…it was bad!  As you looked around the church gym it was like "One of these is not like the others!"  It was actually quite humorous to see the hot-glued houses next to ours, dripping with frosting and candies. :) 

Now that I'm older and wiser (or just lazier, ha!) I wanted to do gingerbread houses with the girls but remembered that fateful Christmas with the house that almost fell apart and decided to work smarter not harder.  So I hot-glued some little graham cracker houses together for the girls while they napped.

 I set up fancy stands with plenty of candy,
 and plugged in some Christmas lights on the kitchen counter, weaving in and out of the houses and decorations.  When the girls woke up from their naps they were greeted with this sight. 
 Needless to say, they were VERY excited!  

 I spread chocolate frosting on the houses and let them go to town. 
Of course, they enjoyed eating the frosting and candy as much as they enjoyed decorating with it also! 


This was a very easy activity that both girls (and me!) got to enjoy together! I love it when that happens.  

So how about you? Are you a homemade gingerbread enthusiast, or do you weld the hot-glue gun with the likes of me? Do tell! 

3 comments:

  1. Best post ever! What a neat surprise to wake up to!!! G & P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you made this a special experience for your girls!! It's a reminder to me that taking a couple extra minutes can turn something simple into something extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually never done either but as I'd find collapsing gingerbread deeply annoying I think I'd have to be glue gun all the way!

    ReplyDelete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.