Excited about a lot, really.

For some reason my last weekly blog post got a lot of reads.  Hmmm.....I wonder why? Who knows, I'm just glad you're here! The last 10 years or so no matter what else has been going on in my life, I've continued to blog, art journal, and keep a written journal.  I suppose I'm a story-teller, through and through.  I just simply don't know another/better way to keep tracking the rosy in my routine, looking for the good, and authentically get out what I carry around in my head/heart.  Maybe people with less feelings don't document stuff as much because they don't have too.  But when you're someone with #allthefeels about #allthethings you need someplace for all that to go. 

Yesterday on a whim I pulled out all of my old art journals and looked through them.  A little trip down memory lane, if you will.  Over the past 8 or 9 years I have filled 18 art journals. 
18!! 
That is a lot of happy, with some hard mixed in too.  It was so fulfilling to flip through and see that yes, certain patterns of thinking and defeated living have certainly been overcome in the last few years for me.  The work of showing up and dealing with our insides is often a very private thing, as it should be (in my opinion).  But to come out on the other side and look in the rear view mirror at things that used to eat me up that just don't anymore?  A very rich reward, indeed.

Plus, looking at color and art truly makes me feel relaxed and happy! So taking the time to look at each art page was super recharging for me.
I would say after flipping through these gobs of pages, I probably absolutely LOVED maybe 40% of the pages, while thinking "meh" about the other 60 %.  

I have always read advice from artists that says you should make art, and make stacks of it.  That it is the only way to get to your authentic style and the work you actually like.  I would give a resounding yes-that feels completely true after poking around all 18 of my journals!

I've had the idea of photographing my favorite pages from each art journal and combining them with my photographs/writing I have stored away for my book I still plan to write. 
Someday. 
I continue to have fun in my art journals, week after week! 
For a long time I've beat myself up for not having a daily practice of art journaling. I *always* feel like I should fill a page every single day or else I'm not a real artist.  Honestly, I'm kind of laughing on the inside at how dramatic that sounds even after I've typed it out.  I'm not sure where I picked up that garbage thinking. 

Instead, realistically it works for me to spend time painting on Friday-Sundays.  It is my happy place and a welcome way to use my fingers and brain in a much different way than during the week.  
I'm not sure how I want to finish up this little mini painting but I like it so far.

The pages above are just the first layer of paint I like to get down.  Then I'll go back and continue to add more paint, oil pastels, or even sharpie on top. But you have to start from somewhere!




Something else I really, really like doing is scrapbooking or creating with collage!  I save little scraps of paper, lists, notes, and other things that hold meaning to me.  I like to arrange them on the page in a way that tells a little story to myself. 
Another fun mini project I took on this weekend was sprucing up our porch because IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR.  We had the time change and now we're in full-on spring mode with summer following close behind! 
YAY!!
This cute doormat came from Dollar General.
Fake flowers for the win!

Just a typical Saturday: no makeup, no shower, getting a workout in. 
Whether it's a long workout or a short one, behind-the-scenes I'm still getting them in several times a week.  It does my body, energy, and mental health a world of good!
I like to shop for props in my own house and then see how I can style them for a new look!
Just completely glorious.  
This is the view on the way home.  It just absolutely gets to me.  That warm, beautiful sun-wonderful!
Fun socks for Fun Sock Friday! 
Plus, beautiful artificial blooms at Target.  
I really love their home stuff but boy is it expensive! 
I mean, you're talking to someone who loves Goodwill, remember?
YES to the AMEN.
Last week we had the most beautiful, warm afternoon one day after school.  I had the spontaneous thought that the girls and I should head down to the creek for a while so that's just what we did. I'm trying really hard to not just cram all the good living in on the weekends, but infuse the week with it. 
I took a million more photos than this (just with my phone, forgot my camera chip) because I'm telling you there is magic in the light and water at the creek.  I could easily spend all day at a creek, river, lake, or ocean.  Easy.  You?
Peace begins with me.
I love home. 
And color.
And pattern mixing.
Pretty! It's so refreshing to see color outside again!
Last, an outfit I liked recently.  I am loving that Target and Old Navy, along with several bloggers/instagrammers are showing people of ALL shapes and sizes lately.  I am here for it! 

Funny story though-one day I wore these pants to school and a kid asked why I wore my pajama's to school. LOL.

I am over here trying to finish up homework in time for my trip to see Mary in Oregon, 
excited about all things spring,
excited about a lot, really.

This season feels new, everything about it does.  
I'm ready.

2 comments:

  1. I have been following your blog off and on for a long time. I also love to photograph water and just wanted to comment on your beautiful photo of the creek. Love it! Keep your photos coming, they are great!

    ReplyDelete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.