Happier without the phone.

I've been rolling this blog post around in my head for a few days, not sure how to tiptoe around the elephant in the room.  The "elephant" being the fact that I could very easily offend someone by my words and that's not my intent at all.  So let me just share how I'm happier without my phone and you can feel free to take or leave what you need from it.  It's no secret I, being a highly-sensitive and deeply feeling person, feel #allthefeels.  Isn't just a cute hashtag on the internet for me, it's real life.  This is both a superpower and a burden.  Imagine feeling all the feelings of hundreds of kiddos a day at work! Then imagine relaxing by scrolling through IG and Facebook and feeling all THOSE feelings too.  A few weeks ago I realized I was slowly falling into the pit.  The pit of depression that honestly just felt like discouragement and like there wasn't anything to be excited about.  People who don't get depressed seem to assume depression means laying in bed, not having showered for days. I suppose it can mean that, but it looks different for different people and in various seasons.   

So back to this nagging depressed, discouraged feeling.  I was just feeling off and knew something had to give.  The two areas I heard and felt God speaking to me about were my phone and exercise.  As in GIVE UP the phone and delete the socials and ADD IN some exercise. 

Long story short, I've done both and it has worked WONDERS upon wonders.  A couple of weeks ago I hid Safari from myself on my phone (and can't figure out how to get it back, lol) and also deleted IG as well.   So now the phone is used for podcasts, music (so much music), occasionally texting, and hardly ever a phone call.  YOU GUYS, do you know how much freedom this one simple step alone has given me personally?  So much.  Loads.  It's also given me endless amounts of free time, whereas before I was scrolling through, always feeling too many feelings or like I was missing out, etc, etc,.  

Now in all the nooks and crannies of my day I read.  In fact, I forgot a book to read today and I'm pretty bummed because this has become my go to. In the last few weeks alone I have read at least 4 or 5 books.  Completely delightful!  I have been ending my day with a book too and that has made a huge difference for my mental well-being.  I just feel better being off the phone and not broadcasting my life via social media.  Will I get left behind or will people even care what I post when I do? 
We'll see.  But I don't know that I really care.  Because so far my real life feels so much richer, better, and connected that I'm not missing the internet world.  

I DO still love my blog and hope you'll keep visiting and I DO still post to IG and hop on for a few minutes a day, via my desktop. 
Last weekend we took the kids to the Dickson Street Bookstore.  They adored it! I did too.  Because you know what? Our kids mimic what they see us do.  When my girls see me pick up a book time after time, it makes their love of reading grow even bigger too.  

Thoughts? Are you happier without the phone? Have you tried taking a break from it? 
Is this the kind of stuff you want to read here?

6 comments:

  1. Sara, I was sitting in church this weekend and definitely felt the tug at my heart, to let go of IG, to a certain extent. Such as, all the women who are living their lives to sell, create, sell, organize, sell and honestly, it just gets overwhelming. I feel constantly pulled in different directions and all the ideas end up a jumbled mess in my head! I'm an idea/creative person, but I find myself spending more time watching others create, than actually creating things myself.

    But, it's like a bad carnival ride that won't stop :)

    So....yes....I totally get it. I so wish blogging would just come back as THE thing! It was so much more fulfilling.

    Thanks for the honesty, as always!

    Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your line of finding yourself spending more time watching others creating than actually creating. That has been so true for me in seasons! I also wish blogging would come back! I love it and think the time and intentionality that goes into a post really makes blogging worthwhile and meaningful. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I have not jumped on the IG bandwagon, so maybe that's a good thing? But, I did take Facebook off of my phone a couple months ago, so I am limited to looking at it when I am on my desktop. Which means there are days that I don't. And I don't miss it. It is nice to pop on and see what friends/family have been up to....but I would so much rather find out in person!
    A few years back, before I had a smart phone, I always kept a book and a yarn project (crochet or knit) in my car. This way I always had something on hand to read or work on to fill time. I would finish so many small projects and read many books this way! This last year I realized I was no longer practicing this and had instead filled my time with looking at things on my phone. Which is why I took the apps back off, and put a book back in my car :) Yesterday I ended up at my son's school 30 minutes early for pickup. I parked in a shady spot, rolled the windows down and read uninterrupted for 30 minutes. It was wonderful!
    I'm glad you listened to the Spirit and made this adjustment in your life! I don't think you need to worry about offending anyone...you are only stating what works for you. I imagine many people would find they have more time on their hands and less mental space taken up with stuff happening on social media if they limited their time on it.
    Have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I would jump on the IG bandwagon if I wasn't already on. There just really is something special about bringing a book or project along for spare moments...or even simply feeling "bored" and just people watching or waiting. I think there is a lost value in that!
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I don't know if would be happier right away - but I would be better off . . . and in the long run most definitely happier. This would probably be harder for me than I realize. I don't think I am ready to give it up . . . but I have been putting it down much more lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, once I got rid of everything off my phone I haven't missed it one single bit. I just love it! I feel so free!

      Delete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.