How do you do it all?

I was asked this question recently and it just made me laugh but then made me want to hurry and explain, I don't do it all.  The sweet person asking meant how do I paint, keep up my photography, the house, work, etc.?  I totally get where the question is coming from.  And I admit, I am doing a LOT on a daily basis, but everyone is.  

I truly think everyone is taking on more life in their days than we realize from a five-minute conversation or quick glance at social media.  We are just more complicated, creative, fascinating human beings than that. I think we could all agree on some level that our lives are complicated.  May I also remind us that although social media feels quite like a bff at times, I've also learned that a lot of the deeply personal/hard things just don't feel right to me to share in such a public space. Freaks this introvert out.  You can always remember more is going on behind this screen than you'll know by reading my blog, unless you know me in real life.  

So, back to the question of how am I doing it all.  A few things to keep in mind:
My job this year is an instructional assistant (a.k.a. a "paraprofessional") and this was on purpose.  I have a degree in early childhood education and used to be an elementary teacher.  It's still something I feel so strongly about and now that both girls are in school I wanted to slowly get used to the working world.  My job is perfect for that! I truly love it and like going in to work each day.  But, as an assistant I'm not doing near the work a teacher is.  You have to remember that when you see me "doing it all." :)  Next year if I get a full-time teaching job my other priorities may shift some because the work load will be much larger. 

The painting and photography fill me up.  Period.  A lot of my life is about giving.  Really almost all of it.  In fact, I'm currently feeling like I need a breather somewhere and somehow in my weeks because someone is always needing me, talking to me, or the house chores are staring me in the face. The little needs are pretty non-stop.  The painting and photography though?  And anything creative?  Breathers.  A total break for me.  It isn't hustle. 
It's heart and healing that keep me coming back to those.  

I've also had to take a look at my priorities in this new work season for things like exercise and figure out where my goals were really coming from in other seasons.  Basically, it was always from a weight-loss viewpoint and a whole lot of hustle. Not in this season.  Brett reminds me to exercise and eat well to "feel good, not to look good because you already do."  He is my biggest health cheerleader and accountability partner.  He reminds me of the real, true reason to exercise.  With that said, I am trying (always trying) to maintain somewhat of a healthy diet and exercise 3 times a week.  That's less time than I aimed for in other seasons, but (and my biggest takeaway) WE CAN'T DO IT ALL. 

We cannot do it all.  I've said it a million times here and I'll keep saying it. 
I simply don't believe that hustle and hard work make for a life where we're doing it all: having the perfect marriage, friendships, body, house, job, etc. 

I'm just not here for it. 
We are all hopelessly flawed.  We are all trying our best, we hurt and hope.  We all must pick and choose what will get our attention and despite the cute IG hashtag, it can't be #allthethings. 

My short answer for you? 
I don't do it all. :) 

I DO keep painting and I DO keep loving it and I DO have quite the stack in my art room.
Painting sale coming this weekend on IG! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.